Sunday, August 31, 2008

Life on the Mississippi, Part II



Photos taken in Nauvoo, Illinois, on August 28, 2008.
Nauvoo is a lovely little old town on the Mississippi.
It was founded by the Mormon prophet, Joseph Smith,
who is buried there, and is a place of pilgrimage for Mormons.
I really love quaint little old river towns, and this was my second visit
to Nauvoo, on the way to a community meeting in St. Louis.
At home in Minnesota, some of the trees and plants
have been showing signs that summer is ending, turning yellow,
dropping their petals, drying up, bending over, preparing for sleep.
But even this far south, in Illinois,
there were distinct signs of approaching autumn.
In the historic village, I saw a flame-red maple.
I was also surprised and distressed
to see so many large flooded areas, still.
I was not able to get as close to the river as I would have liked at times
on my drive south, because some roads
are still closed due to standing water.

No comments: